Monday, July 10, 2017

Ruminations on Fireworks



This year, as I do most years, I went to visit my parents for the Fourth of July.  There is an amazing fireworks show we watch every year that is quite literally in their backyard, put on from an island in the lake behind their house.  As per usual, we all got in the boat, found a place, dropped anchor, sat back, and watched.  It was an amazing show, as it always is, but I found myself contemplating where we are and where we are going as a country.

I am a patriot.  I love this country dearly because it is one of the most unique and most remarkable ever created.  Normally, when I watch fireworks, I feel at least some sense of pride and awe at this wonderful country.  But this year, I honestly felt nothing.  As I watched those beautiful flashes of color light up the night sky, I could not feel any pride for this country.


At first, I couldn’t understand why I wasn’t feeling anything.  Were my anxiety meds to blame?  Was I just in a non-receptive mood?  Was I just not letting myself feel?  All of these questions and more floated around my mind, but I quickly realized that the truth of the matter, which was that it wasn’t an internal problem, but an external one.

The problem is that I, like so many, am horrified at what America has become.  We are selfish, greedy jerks who don’t care about anyone outside our circle of friends and family.  We have allowed our politics to polarize and bitterly divide us.  We have allowed ourselves to be led by people who care only about exacerbating that divide, generally through bullying tactics (Trump and Christie, I’m looking at you), for personal and political gain.   A truly terrifying sense of nationalism has arisen, which threatens to tear this country apart, from people who believe that nationalism and patriotism are synonymous (they aren’t; patriotism is loving one’s country, whereas nationalism is believing that one’s country is inherently superior to all others, which inevitably leads to hatred, racism, sexism, and other bigotry, all of which in turn beget violence, which creates a cycle that is nearly impossible to break) and that they are the true patriots.

America was once a great country (though whether or not we were ever TRULY great is, at best, debatable).  It was once the image of dignity.  It was once respected around the world.  But decades of bad leadership have tarnished our image.  We were starting to remove some of those stains under Obama, but Trump clearly intends to obliterate that legacy, which is already greatly damaging our reputation.  We have had very little truly great leadership in my lifetime.

While the lack of real leadership has been detrimental to this country, equally problematic are the people who follow these leaders.  This is true now more than ever, with Trump giving a voice to the worst dregs of society.  Among his most ardent fans are the worst racists, sexists, and bigots this country has to offer, and Trump feeds their paranoia just as they feed his.  They see nothing wrong with being led by a man rife with incompetence and narcissism, a man who believes dissent against him should not be tolerated.  They actively support his tyranny against this country.

With the country tipping dangerously close to becoming an authoritarian regime, how could I possibly feel any pride for it?  How could I want to celebrate it?  The answer is that I cannot.  We are losing everything we value, everything we stand for, yet so many are either blind or willfully ignorant of this.  Instead of standing for greatness, for freedom, for peace, and for equality, we are becoming what we hate.  We are becoming a country where dissenting opinions are crucified.  A country where extremism is embraced by the same people who decry it.  A country where ego is the only thing that matters.

This is not the country I grew up in.  This is not the country I love.  We still could be that country, but we’re at the tipping point.  If we don’t act soon, the damage to our country will almost certainly be irrevocable.  The road to authoritarianism and fascism, as documented by numerous scholars over the last century, is a long one, but we often don’t recognize it until it is too late.  It begins with simple things such as intolerance of dissent and demonization of the news media, and ends with revocation of basic freedoms, resulting in a State ruled by a tyrant.  We are on that road now, and that is why I feel no pride for this country.

But it doesn’t have to be that way.  We are on the edge of a terrifying abyss, but we can still pull ourselves back.  We can still make this country truly great.  We start by reclaiming those values that are truly American: freedom, equality, and democracy.  We rid ourselves of the nativism and nationalism gripping this country by fighting hatred with love.  We fight xenophobia by opening our hearts and arms to everyone, most especially to those in need.  We elect leaders who actually believe in these values instead of leaders who use semantics to justify fighting against them.  Most importantly, we have real, civil discourse instead of flinging insults and epithets; that we actually listen to people and then respond in a respectful manner instead of dismissing things out of hand.

We could be a country I am proud of again.  We could come together by setting aside our egos and seeing every person for what they are: human.  That is, after all, what the founders believed, and what they wanted for this country.  The question is whether we want to follow their vision, or risk losing everything.


To me, the answer to that is as plain as the stars and stripes on the flag.

No comments:

Post a Comment